Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Keeping Busy with My Latest Projects...

My ABC Baby Blanket and Bohemian Oasis Afghan are certainly keeping me busy lately. I am on the next to the last section of the baby blanket, (D,E,F,G) but it has been difficult to work on this past week because our air conditioner was not working. Of course in Kansas we have been having above normal high temperatures lately and the baby blanket is very dense, (single crochet) so it is hot on my lap and the yarn is sticking between my fingers so it has been doubly difficult to work on it.

I have persevered though because I am determined to finish it as soon as possible because I have so many other projects running around in my mind that I want to get started on. As I said, this blanket has been a challenge for me. I was almost finished with it and realized I had started out with a G hook and somewhere along the line I switched to an F hook. It's kind of funny now but it wasn't when I had to frog the whole thing. I had some minor mistakes on it at the start so I just ripped out the entire blanket.

Somewhere I read to use toilet paper rolls to wrap your yarn when you have to frog something so I tried it and it worked beautifully! I highly recommend this method. I still ended up with some tangles but managed to salvage most of the yarn. At one point I was going to throw all of it away and go buy new yarn because it was so frustrating but I muddled through and I'm glad I did. If my daughter didn't love it so much I would have said "forget it", but she won out and now it's almost done and I think I finally have the hang of it.

I'm looking forward to joining my beautiful squares together on the Oasis Afghan. I have the black Fabel yarn by Drops and I think it is going to be a really pretty afghan when I get it done. This one is just for me. It will be so lovely on my bed and the colors of all the squares made from the Drops Delight yarn are so yummy.



You may have noticed from my recent posts that I am anxious to try Tunisian Crochet. It looks like knitting and gives you a tighter fabric than crocheting does. Kim Guzman is the Queen of Tunisian Crochet, (see the new Spring Issue of Crochet Savvy magazine here. Kim is on the cover!) I have had my Denise hooks for a couple of years now and haven't made one thing with them. I also have Kim's book, Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Tunisian Crochet.



I can't wait to try some of the neat patterns she has in it. Kim has put up lots of videos on YouTube as well so I should, (hopefully) be able to learn how to do it! I'll keep you posted on how its going.









Well, that's all for now. I hope you all have a great week! Oh...by the way...the air conditioner got fixed yesterday so everything is "cool" now!! :)

Happy Crocheting!


6 comments:

  1. Still having cool spring weather here. I find as it gets warmer I like the lighter weight projects. Blankets get to be a bit warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to get the air fixed! It's rough trying to crochet when it's too hot. Your squares are very pretty. Good luck with your ABC blanket; thanks for the tip about the toilet paper rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a downpour in my part of the UK today - I can't really imagine having a heat wave! Just wanted to say I love your afghan, and look forward to seeing it finished :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blanket is going to be so amazing. That sweater pattern is perfect, but I would like to knit it!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith! I'm going to have to learn how to knit. I never had an interest until lately and now I am seriously considering. It looks so hard that I though Tunisian would be easier. What do you think?

      Delete
  5. Hi, I'm Jody. Just joined the blog site today. Knitting just feel so uncomfortable, two needles just feels strange. I think I will try Tunisian too. As a thirty year crocheter, I love all the new stitches. Love this blog site.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! Thank you.
If you have questions I'll answer asap.