Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Stash Busting Already!

Luckily I started stash busting last year but didn't get very far so I have a little bit of a jump start. I started making these little granny squares with a "G" hook with the leftover yarn from my Rainbow Ripple.







So I was going to do the join-as-you-go method but I did it backwards, or so I was told, and I didn't like the way the join looked, (see here), because usually when I join granny squares they all have the same color in the last row. It just really bothered me to look at the one color overlapping the other color. 

So, I decided to just go ahead and make the squares between projects and use up the stash. So now I have all these lovely little squares and only a little bit of stash left. Now I have to decide how to join them together since I obviously can't do the as-you-go method. So now I will probably have to buy some yarn for the joining of the squares. This always happens to me when I am trying to use up some stash, I end up buying more yarn to finish something! Ugggh! Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Oh well, buying yarn is one of my favorite past times so not really a problem at all!

So I'm almost finished using up the stash of yarn but...I still have to finish the little granny square blanket or I just moved the yarn from stash to a UFO (unfinished object).  I have enough of those already. 

Any ideas on the color to use for joining them? I guess I could add one more round with a new color and join-as-you-go that way with all the same color. I'm thinking white or black.  What do you think?

Happy Crocheting!



19 comments:

  1. I don't think black and white would go with a rainbow color. If that is what you really want there is no harm in it. are you going to be alternating the colors in the squares? could you do a layout so I can see:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to have a layout soon. Still not sure how I want to do that part. It's hard for me to do random so it will probably have a pattern to it.

      Delete
  2. All of my blankets except one were made to use up leftover yarn and as you say I always ended up buying more to finish them. It seems to me it's almost impossible to make a blanket entirely out of leftover yarn ;-) I like the colours you used for your squares, they're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula! So true. I always end up doing the same thing. But I guess this is "crochet" security. :)

      Delete
  3. I think a soft white would really look nice. I have never done grannie squares, some day I will try I just don't know if I like the idea of all the little stuff.
    But I really like the way they look.
    Love the colors, I do think soft white would be nice
    :) good luck.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I'm leaning toward. Soft white would be pretty I think. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I think I would use a colour you have used already for joining, how about red and finish off with a red border to bring the whole thing together, or if you have a lot of one of the colours left over you could use that. I like to sc my squares together.Looking forward to seeing what you decide :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. Red would be pretty and something different. I'm like you and usually sc granny squares together. Great ideas!

      Delete
  5. I think white would look lovely....this site has lots of colour and white...makes the colours pop and shows of your hard work at its best.

    http://www.tangledhappy.com/2012/11/bears-rainbow-blanket.html

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such fun to have all of those little squares and the different thoughts about joining. I think it's really difficult to go wrong with granny's. they almost always end up looking wonderful! Have fun with it.

    I almost always end up having to buy more yarn too. :-)

    Blessings,
    Betsy
    Http://www.betsy-thesimplelifeofaqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't think of having fun with it!:) Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  7. Love all your squares! I have a pile like that I'll be joining soon; they're all three round, but I'll be adding a fourth round in soft white and joining as I go. Maybe you could do something like that? I definitely have the same problem; I try to make a stashbuster blanket and end up buying more yarn and then I have more stash. It's a continuous cycle :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, I think I might try that since they would all have the same color on the 4th round it might work!

      Delete
  8. You have a nice number of granny squares. I am guessing you could already make a blanket with them. Have you tried the whipstitch joining method. It is made with a sewing needle and you could do it in any color, because it is barely visible.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! Thank you.
If you have questions I'll answer asap.